Flat Tire Guardian

I got a flat tire on the main highway. I heard the wheel bumping over the asphalt, and knew the tire was completely flat.

Pulling over to the shoulder, I got out of the car and confirmed that the tire was flat and needed to be replaced. I hauled out the tire-changing tools and got to work, but the shoulder was so narrow that every time I bent down to turn the lug wrench a car came speeding at me.

I was risking my life to change a tire.

I put away the tools and turned on the engine and drove as fast as I could. A few minutes up the road was the entry to a large factory. The driveway was large, wide and set far enough away from the road for me to change a tire. I pulled in, with smoke rising from my burning flat tire.

As I applied the tools, a security guard from the factory took interest. He saw me strain as I tried to loosen the bolts, getting up on the lug wrench push my full weight down. The bolts didn't move. He stepped forward, abandoning the gate he stood, and quickly loosened all the bolts on the wheel. He removed the burned,  flat tire. He bounced the spare tire on the asphalt and got it in place, tightening all the bolts.

"Watch yourself, and get the tire replaced first thing tomorrow."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of the Shadows

Soaking the Beds

The Dealer